GIZ Office Kazakhstan would like to announce a new vacant position in the capacity of Project Expert in the Regional Programme on Sustainable and Climate Sensitive Land Use for Economic Development in Central Asia (SLU CA). The part of the Programme, “Pilot-Based Afforestation and Reforestation of Degraded Forest Areas in the Border Area between Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan” SFF project aims testing of GIS data-based policy making for forest landscape restoration purposes, it is anticipated that the incumbent technically contributes with his/her GIS expertise in the area of forest/land-use management, and possibly, comes up with ideas/suggestions on the improvement of project implementation process.
Duty station: Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
Application Deadline: 29.11.2020
- processing technical aspects of project implementation;
- facilitating capacity development measures for the project stakeholders;
- maintaining effective communication among all project stakeholders;
- participates in preparing and conducting project activities and carries out other activities required for the achievement of project objectives;
- participates in formulating project action plans and budgeting processes;
- carries out project activities at national/local levels in consultation with project management and assigned consultants, and in cooperation with project counterparts;
- helps identify the needs of national counterparts and other stakeholders;
- supports project management activities, e.g. impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting;
- responsible for preparing, implementing and documenting training events, workshops and other project activities;
- develops and maintains contact with all project stakeholders in coordination with other experts;
- provides technical assistance to local and international experts;
- ensures knowledge management collects, processes and distributes relevant information, monitors communication and interaction between project stakeholders through analyses of the media, direct dialogue, participation in meetings and seminars etc.
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
- a university degree in Forest Management, Agroforestry, Biodiversity Protection, Geo-data management, or an area related to sustainable land-use management;
- proved experience in the use (interpretation, analysis) of satellite, aerial remote sensing data for GIS mapping in the land-use related research or practical application purposes.
- a minimum of 3 years’ professional experience in development project implementation in the areas related to sustainable natural resources management, or land-use management is required;
- good understanding of Kazakhstan forestry sector agenda and/or forestry context in Central Asia;
- experience in working with and building partnerships with government, international development and cooperation organizations; experience in implementation of social mobilization activities would be an asset;
- understanding policy, formal and informal processes of policy development and relevant decision making in Kazakhstan government agencies;
- ability to interpret policy context, identify needed actions and, both advise decision options and work unsupervised;
- ‘structured’ thinking;
- constructive approach to problem solving – concentrating on the issue, ability to identify cause and effects;
- effective communication - oral and written – skills: ability to communicate the message;
- strong managerial and organisational competence;
- good knowledge and high level of skills in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting procedures;
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- willingness to travel within and outside the country;
- excellent written and oral communication skills in Russian and English languages at professional level. Knowledge of Kazakh language would be an asset.